"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

So thankful

So, I have these two friends, Amy and Sarah.  We have known each other for a long time.  Amy and I grew up together in Africa as missionary kids.  I think I was 8 and she was 9 when we met.  The crazy thing is, Amy's oldest daughter is now 8... boy does that put things in perspective!  I met Sarah through Amy at a summer camp conference, I think we were in jr. high or early high school.  They have stayed true friends through the years and now we are all married with children.  Well, these two dear friends came to visit us last week!  

Sarah is pregnant and has two kids, 4 and 3.  Amy is also pregnant and has four kids, ages 8, almost 7, 4 and 2 1/2.  So, needless to say, combined with our 3 kids, the house was full!  There was constant activity for the 3 nights they were here.  They both drove quite a distance to get here and I just so appreciate the sacrifice they made to spend time with our family!  We miss them and my three kids have never seemed so quiet.  :)

We had some fun adventures while they were here, and one scary adventure.  The Thursday they were here we went to this old estate and gardens near our home.  Well, Riley took a bit of a swim in this lily pad pond...  In the below picture you'll see Riley, with an orange hoodie, walking down the steps.  I am in the background with Haddie and the stroller.  Riley had been so cautious around all the other ponds and fountains I wasn't staying right on top of him.  Well, one minute I see all the kids coming down the steps towards the lily pad pond, followed close behind by Amy and Sarah - and the next minute I see Riley walk right into the pond!  Since it was even with the ground I think Riley accidentally just walked right in.  He certainly didn't do it on purpose.  Amy was right behind him and pulled him out by his hood.  The water was deep and he had gone completely under.  I was rushing to him, about to jump in the pond - when Amy pulled him out.  Thank the Lord he didn't inhale any water.  He didn't cough or sputter at all.  He was wet and cold though!  






And... a bit shocked!  He was super subdued for a bit and all the other kids were very quiet and concerned.  They all knew this was serious!  We stripped him down and dried him off/wrapped him up with Haddie's blanket.  Sarah had some extra clothes and shoes in her trunk so Riley was able to get changed and continue on with our day!  




I am SO thankful that the Lord preserved Riley.  I was shaking so bad afterwards and couldn't stop hugging him.  I am so thankful for Amy's quick thinking.  I am so glad, that instead of having some tragedy on our hands we just have a story - a story that ended well!  

Thank you Jesus!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN!!!!

Anonymous said...

Praise God!
love,
mom