Well, Sophia was going to fall asleep in our bed for a special treat. Haddie was already sleeping soundly in the other room. Jamie was about to take Riley off to bed {oh, if only there were a rewind button on life}, and I chime in with, "Hey, Riley, do you want to fall asleep with Sophia in Mommy's bed?" (not my most brilliant move as a mother, to date.)
And that is when it all fell apart...
Of course Riley wanted to, and of course Sophia did not want him to... well, after almost an hour of them arguing and NOT falling asleep, the last straw was reached. Riley was crying and screaming at this point and woke up Haddie. I laid in bed with Soph and Riley while Jamie got Haddie back to sleep. Riley was literally pulling on me and telling me to stay and cuddle, then he would scream and tell me to go. Back and forth he went. Haddie did not fall back to sleep.
Jamie took Riley into the kitchen for some "persuasion," I held Haddie, Soph is in our room crying... Well, the persuasion wasn't working and Riley was screaming and refusing to obey anything. Sophia kept offering suggestions on how we might get him to comply (ha!) and Haddie was not sleeping.
I took a turn with Riley and after about 20 minutes, he was finally asleep! Sophia was quiet, and Haddie, was not sleeping.
We'd been at putting the kids to bed now for almost two hours and realized our laundry folding dreams were not going to happen! But, we persevered with our movie. :) After trying to put Haddie back to bed and letting her scream for about 20 minutes (great background noise when trying to watch a movie!) we brought her back out to the living room with us while we watched our movie. She was not happy being held, she wasn't going to go to sleep yet, so we did what any good parents would do...
We let her empty an entire box of kleenex on the floor and play happily (and quietly!) while we watched our movie. :)
It is now 11:15 pm. Our movie is done, the laundry is not folded, Riley and Sophia are both sound asleep in their own beds. And Haddie? Jamie just finished rocking her (again) and she is
sleeping.
Ahhh.
Most ironic thing? The movie we watched was, "Life As We Know It," and indeed, tonight, is life as we know it.
:)
3 comments:
Way to persevere! :)
OH. Boy.
Sorry, I am laughing!!! I remember those days. Oh, Dad and I loved that movie!
love,
mom
Post a Comment