The day dawned and I tried my hand at making some cake donuts for a special breakfast. They were super simple and tasty. I was able to make the dough the night before, refrigerate it, and then simply roll, cut and fry in the morning. I put powdered sugar on some and pink sugar on others.
Later that morning a friend of mine came over with her four kids. Sara and I have a newer friendship and our kids had never met. Soph and I hosted a little Valentine's party as an excuse to get to know Sara's kids! We had a lot of fun with some games, a craft, decorating cookies, eating donut holes and just playing. Sophia loved playing with Sara's two older girls, 6 & 4 1/2, while Riley loved playing with Sara's son, who is almost 3. Haddie even had a playmate as Sara's youngest daughter just turned one. We all may have gotten a sugar high, but it was well worth it!
The rest of the day was rather uneventful. Jamie surprised us with roses and chocolate covered strawberries when he got home from work - which was very special! After putting Haddie and Riley to bed Jamie took Sophia out for a date. She got all dressed up and they enjoyed some ice-cream out on the town. :)
Jamie and I didn't do anything super special, but we had enjoyed a double date on Saturday. We are currently doing marriage counseling for a young couple and went out to dinner and coffee with them while another, recently married, couple (and great friends of ours!) babysat our kiddos.
So, I was looking through our pictures of past Valentines' and stumbled across this one.
This is Riley-boy two years ago! Isn't he sweet? Love those big brown eyes.
Valentine's Day is always really special to me because it is full of so many sweet memories of Jamie and me falling in love. It was Valentine's Day, eight years ago, that we first held hands and then expressed our love for each other (after discussing all day whether or not we should utter the sacred phrase, "I love you." I think when we finally decided we could/should say it we counted to 3 and said it at the same time. Ha!)
I feel like I should wax poetic some more over the special significance of Valentine's day, etc... but I really am just out of words, so - I think I will stop. :)
3 comments:
I think your post was poetic as is. Thanks for sharing! :)
Beuatiful!
love,
mom
That is so cute! I never heard that story of you and Jamie! =)
Post a Comment