In February we did something new as a family! We joined the world of sports. Sophia is taking a break from ballet so we thought she might like giving soccer a try. Our Community Center has an indoor league for kids Soph's age, so we signed her up! These first few pictures are from her first game. She was so excited!
What greater joy than to have one's own water bottle?? :)
There she is in the center waving at me!
Playing goalie; this remained to be the position Sophia not only enjoyed the most but was also the best at!
Family pic after her first game.
Her grandparents came to cheer her on!
***
So, with one practice a week, and one game a week, Sophia started to learn a lot of new things, not only about soccer, but about teamwork in general. It was so fun to see her enthusiasm going into each practice and game. Her little team was so cute and she had a great coach! Last Saturday was her last game. We were all geared up and ready to go before we headed off to Haddie's birthday party. Her game was at 11:15 and we were running late. As we pulled up we see her coach's wife loading up her kids and leaving... hmm... Okay, so I, yet again, get Mother of the Year Award - I totally read the schedule wrong. Her game was at 10. When we got into the soccer field the two teams that were actually scheduled to play at 11:15 were taking the field. The coaches and refs were so gracious and let Sophia join one of the teams to play out the game. That team was short a couple players, and happened to be the team that our neighbors' son played on - who happens to be a good buddy and playmate of Soph's - so, it really worked out well. (Thank you Jesus!)
A couple action shots of Soph during the game.
As we were driving home I was expressing to Jamie how badly I felt for missing Soph's game time and her not getting to finish the season with her teammates. Sophia pipes up from the back seat, "Well, Mom, at least I got to play!"
And that is one of the million reasons I love my daughter.
I am so proud of the little lady she is becoming.
***
We wanted her to have a good go at learning how to play soccer, so she is starting an outdoor league next week that will play through May. This team will be all girls and we're excited to see her develop her skills some more. I never thought I'd get into being a "soccer mom," but I am loving it!


2 comments:
Ruthie, you are a great mommy! Remember you are a great mommy not a perfect mommy! There are NO perfect mommies!! Loved all the pictures.
love,
mom
Sophia is such a cutie and you are an awesome mama!
Danielle
Post a Comment