I have been holding this post in for awhile now, and today is the day to get it out.
My Sophia Ruth. My first born.
If I had to describe her in one word, it would be,
life.
When I found out I was pregnant with Sophia I never could have imagined what a girl she would be and I never could have envisioned the way she would stretch me, challenge me and inspire me.
There is never a dull moment with Soph. She is such a joy to know.
I will always be her Mama, first and foremost, but we also enjoy a really special friendship, and I just love that.
Sophia is one of those kids that will always choose playing outside or, if stuck inside, something creative or imaginative, over watching tv or playing computer games. Don't get me wrong, she loves her some tv and computer games, but given the choice she'll walk away from either in a second to do something active or creative! I love that about her.
There have been many a challenging day when it has come to raising my daughter. She is smart and verbal and stubborn. She can duel and debate with the best of them. I have always felt though, the things that make her the so called, "strong-willed child," are the same qualities that will make her a strong leader and, Lord-willing, a powerful force in the Kingdom of God.
Sophia has never met a stranger and never ceases to amaze me with her ability and nerve to ask for what she wants and to never stop, even if she's told no. :) Somewhere along my journey I got scarred and jaded and lost my nerve to honestly ask for the things I want. One of my greatest weaknesses as an adult is that if I fear rejection I most often won't even bother going after whatever it is I seek. This habit has even seeped into my spiritual life. I don't want that for Sophia. I want her to always have the courage and guts to ask the Lord for her desires and to not be afraid to ask the next time even if she was previously told no.
One of my greatest fears as I raise my green-eyed first-born, is that my insecurities and holdups will affect her in a negative way and do harm to her beautiful, unique spirit. Sophia is unlike any other child I know- if you know her personally, you know it too! She stretches me to uncomfortable lengths. Sometimes I fear that others will reject her or label her or put her in a box, or judge the way they perceive that Jamie and I parent her - and that she will feel the sting. I know that if I embrace all of who God has made her to be and work to shepherd her heart in a way that strives to make her seek the Lord first, she will flourish and soar. I cannot let my fear of how others may perceive or receive my daughter affect the way I accept her and let her grow wings and fly.
It was with a proud heart that I heard the following story.
Let me tell you about Wilbur first. Wilbur reminds me so much of my late Grandpa [pictured above]. He is a WWII vet and lives across the street from us. He moved to our street when his house was only one of four. So, he has basically lived here since this street began, some 50 years ago. When we moved here, over four years ago, Wilbur and Sophia became fast friends. Barely a day goes by that Sophia doesn't make a visit to Wilbur. Sometimes she'll stay over there for upwards to an hour, chatting away and listening to his tales. They have a really beautiful friendship.
So, the story... Another neighbor, and friend of mine, was relating to me how the first time she met Wilbur, and every single time she's spoken to him since, he has told her the same tale. She said that Wilbur always tells her that this neighborhood was changed when Sophia came. He says that before she came it was all fuddy-duddies. :) He tells of a little girl that can always be heard, even when she's inside, and how he loves that. He says that Sophia brought life back to this neighborhood.
I cannot imagine much higher of a compliment. My daughter, Sophia Ruth.
Life.




4 comments:
What a sweet tribute! :)
*wow* Love the life-filled pictures! And what an awesome tale!!! We love our spunky Sophia!!!
I love this Ruthie and I love Sophia.
She is so much like you. Daddy and I say that all the time. I am so thankful that God brought Sophie to this crazy world. She is going to do great things for our Lord!
love,
mom
THat is so special and sweet! I don't know who will be sadder when you all move--Wilbur or Soph. How special! We love you Sophia!!!
Post a Comment