"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Monday, November 23, 2009

My Children

Sophia said some great things in church today! She stays with us for the sermon now, and was quietly playing with some paper dolls (Mary, Joseph and Jesus) I had left over from Sunday School. Jamie overheard her whispering the following conversation between Jesus and Mary:

Mary: How did you do that honey?
Jesus: I am Jesus... I can float in the air. Everything that is impossible is possible for me.

***

Out of NO WHERE during the service, Sophia looks up at me and whispers, "Mom, there was a kid with six toes! I hope I get six toes!"

When relating this story to Jamie later, he said he had overheard my Mom (in Sophia's earshot) saying something about some kid with six toes on one foot. Soph doesn't miss much!

***

So... Jamie and I went and saw Wicked last Thursday and had a great dinner date afterwards. My parents graciously watched the kids for us, and were planning on keeping them for the night so we could just come home and sleep in on Friday. Well, earlier in the week Riley got a bit of a cold and was teething his molars in a major way. Late Wednesday night I just had this "Mom Feeling" that Jamie and I should not be away from the kids Thursday night, so, I trusted that feeling and we joined the kids at my parents Thursday night.

Thank the Lord for His Spirit's urging! Poor Riley was suffering from a low-grade fever by the time we left for the play and when we returned around 9:30pm, he'd only just gotten to sleep. He woke up shortly after we got home and was back down by maybe 10:30pm. He was up again around 1am (Jamie and I had only gotten to bed around midnight, as we stayed up watching some TV - a treat since we don't have cable at our house). He didn't ever go back to sleep! He was alternately happily playing and inconsolably screaming/crying. None of our usual "tricks" were working. He was a mess. Somehow God gave Jamie and I the strength to make it through the night with him.

Around 6am, Jamie took him for a car ride and he fell asleep and stayed asleep once back for about an hour. I knew something besides teething was up, and since his fever was low-grade, I suspected an ear infection. Well, Jamie took Riley back out for another car ride around 7:30am, and Riley screamed in the car for an hour before falling asleep. Jamie drove around for a bit more before coming back to my parents. We were waiting for the Peds. office to open so we could take him in. Thankfully we were able to take him to a local Ped late that morning, and he was quickly diagnosed with an ear infection, in each ear! The poor baby. My last ear infection was in college, and it was so painful I went to the ER and thought I was going to die. I cannot imagine having one in each ear and not being able to understand why I was in so much pain.

He started antibiotics Friday, but was still a big mess. He never napped and got to bed late. But, he did sleep pretty well Friday night and took a great nap Saturday and is pretty much back to himself now. I'm hopeful he'll be back in ship shape by Thanksgiving!

In the past few days Riley has become quite the hugger! It is so adorable and wonderful! He especially loves to go up to Sophia and give her these amazing hugs. Last night before laying him down, I asked him for a hug and he hugged me! I just love it. The stinker still won't say a word, but he sure knows how to communicate! He understands pretty much everything and finds ways to tell us what he wants too.

We're planning on putting our tree up today. Is yours up yet?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, Ruthie, do you guys remember when you came to State College and helped us put our tree up? I think I have a picture of Jamie stuck under the tree. ;) Glad you figured out what has been bothering Riley. Jonathan is sleeping terribly and we can't figure out why. Maybe we should get him checked for an ear infection too. Hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving, and Happy Belated Birthday!! We miss you guys. Amy

Anonymous said...

The science experiment that Sophia and did was related to the story about Sarah and Abraham having a baby when they were so old. God's promise. I told her the verse from Luke that nothing is impossible with God. Sophia really listen and had so much fun with the experiment. That is so neat that she said that on Sunday!
love,
mom

Rachel said...

Poor little Riley! How horrible! Yes, our tree is up, and has been since last Monday! Love you and Happy Thanksgiving!!