So, this post is rather embarrassing to share, but I feel like I must, for a few reasons.
1. I want to be able to look back and remember this event.
2. It is just too much, and I think you'll get a kick out of it, Jamie and I sure have!
3. It is FULL of real-life application, and I just don't want to forget the lessons my children teach me...
So, yesterday was a rough day for me physically - thus emotionally (hey, I'm pregnant). I was tired, my asthma was kicking my rear to the curb and I just felt overall yuck! This was contributing to my sensitive emotional state too. Jamie brought up a sensitive subject (- which was fine! it needed brought up) while we were all gathered in the kitchen eating an afternoon snack. My feathers instantly got ruffled (first bad response on my part) and I announced in my ever-patient, calm, ahem, manner that I would be going to my room because I didn't want to talk about such-and-such in front of the kids (because I knew I was not in a calm state). So, off I went to my room to sulk pray and ponder. Jamie soon came in so we could actually finish our conversation and meet some resolution. Well, I'd like to say we sat quietly holding hands, staring into each other 's eyes and worked through our conversation, but, that we be a lie. We argued. Yeah, are you shocked? It's not the first time we've ever argued either, wow, I know you're really shocked now! ;) Oh, and guess what, I can guarantee it won't be the last time (just being real folks).
At any rate, Sophia had been instructed to stay in the kitchen with Riley while we "talked." At some point we hear some pitter-pattering of little feet in the hallway and a see a sheet of paper thrown under the door and then hear Soph scamper off. We keep on discussing what was at hand, now trying harder to talk calmer and quieter, knowing Sophia was probably a little upset at hearing us argue.
Not but a few minutes later Sophia comes in our room and tosses two frames on our bed. One is our wedding picture, the other is our wedding invitation. She announces to us that she was worried we had forgotten that we were married. Whoa. Ouch. Okay... damage control time!
We talked things through with Soph and she was fine. Oh, and the picture she had slid under our door? It was a page out of her coloring book of a personified family of cactuses (cacti?). She had written "Mom" and "Dad" on the top and told me Jamie and I were to color the picture as a punishment for arguing.
Man, when did my little girl get so wise? So, after being throughly humbled and challenged by my five-year-old daughter, I am striving to stay calmer and have more self-control when discussing sensitive matters with Jamie. I'm thankful Sophia is able to see Jamie and I be real and that she knows first hand that even if we disagree/argue we work things out and we still love each other, and we will never forget we are married. But, I am challenged, none-the-less, to become a better example of how to deal with conflict without anger.
My baby girl. How I love her.

I completed my punishment!
The Frames
Me and my Honey. No, indeed, I could never forget I'm married to him! And I never want to!

5 comments:
WOW. Glad Jeni and I never fight. Okay Glad Cora isn't old enough to make us color pcitures :-)
Praying for yall
That is an awesome story. You have a very intuitive little girl. Thanks for sharing!!! Love, love, love.
WOW! I was chuckling a little, but really, how insightful of her! I remember when M & D would argue it'd always make me anxious. But, I also always knew they would work it out. Good job Sophia! And, good job to you guys for working it out and accepting this lesson. Oh to be so accepting...
A lesson for all of us!
Wow! All I can say is Wow! What a lesson for every married couple!
I love you all so much. what great parents to be raising such a wonderful little girl!
love,
mom
Post a Comment