"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Monday, January 31, 2011

I'm not just a Mom

This post will mostly be about me, not my kids.  :)

I read over at (in)courage and this post, Intentional Living (by Melissa @ The Inspired Room) really resonated with me.

Guess what?  I am seriously considering getting the book, One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp, so that I can participate in an online book club.  This book club is hosted by Angie Smith and Jessica Turner and takes place at (in)courage.  Do you think the idea of an online book club is weird?  I think I'm going to give it a try.  I read A LOT of blogs, most every day/evening/night (aka - whenever I can sneak snipits of time). I see real community happening, and real friendships forming because of the blogosphere.  I feel envious sometimes of the fun all these ladies seem to be having and the support they gain from one another.  But, I rarely leave comments or do anything else to immerse myself in this community of women.  So, aside from the fact that I love reading and have heard nothing but good things about this book, joining this book club is my attempt to not just be a bystander of the blog world any longer.  By golly, I am going to participate!  :)

I have been cooking for myself/myself & Jamie and/or myself, Jamie & children since 2002.  That is over 8 years of some tired, old recipes and cooking routines.  My friend, Shirmy, got me The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook for Christmas and I've already tried 5 recipes.  All of them but one I LOVED and will make again.  The other one wasn't all bad, I just didn't care for the texture (it was a berry cobbler and the cakey part was too chewy for my taste).  Just this week I put 4 new recipes on my menu - all courtesy of allrecipes.com.

I am enjoying homeschooling Sophia.  I am actually looking forward to years to come when all three kids will be doing school.  Riley was a real challenge this Fall, but since we've gotten back into our routine after Christmas, he's improved so much!  He pretty much leaves us be, or plays nicely near us, while we do school.  I have really enjoyed reading the "homeschooling" portion of The Pioneer Woman's blog.  She has two regular contributors that write really great stuff and feed my passion and excitement for schooling my kids at home.  Ree (the Pioneer Woman) writes on this portion at times too, but mostly it's two other ladies, Heather Sanders and Kristen Chase.  Anyways, if you homeschool or are curious to the ins and outs of homeschooling I recommend reading from here!

I started working out today, again.  About a year and a half ago Jamie and I gave a serious go at working out and getting fit, but after a couple of weeks I found out I was pregnant with Haddie and stopped serious workouts due to all my previous miscarriages.  After Haddie was born, as with Soph and Riley, I gained weight.  I don't  ever gain much during pregnancy, but after I struggle a lot with post-partum depression and unfortunately my "drugs" of choice are usually food and laziness - so, the pounds compound - ha!  I was working out on and off this summer/early fall and was feeling hopeful for some weight loss.  Then... while traveling to see friends in the Pacific NW I fell and hurt my ankle/foot really badly.  I probably should have gotten it checked out, but I didn't and it took a really LONG time to heal. Even though it still bothers me a bit it can no longer be used as an excuse to not work out.  In addition to the weight loss I am looking forward to the other benefits I gain from working out.  As I've gotten older I've noticed what a difference regular workouts do to help curb my junk food/carb cravings, increase my ability to cope with daily stressors, and make my mood better.  So, today was the day.  Here I go.  Again.  (Please tell me some of you can relate!)


5 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds like good things are happening. I know you can do it (the working out, the homeschooling, the cooking, and the blog-commenting)! :)

Amy said...

YES! You can do it! I will be joining you from afar and we can see how eachother are doing!

Jeni said...

Oh no! I have NO idea what you mean! :) :) :) HA!!!! Just kidding!!!!!!!! I'll pray for you sister. I know how hard it can be! Just remember (as you've told me MANY times!) you are BEAUTIFUL, not only on the inside, but the outside too!!!!!

Anonymous said...

How fun Ruthie!

I love Ann Voskamp's blog, and I too have been eyeing her new book. ;) I find it interesting and encouraging that somehow the Lord seems to sort of intertwine lives when we're all so far away. Most of the blogs I've been reading have either linked to her blog or commented about her new book.

I'm glad school is going better for you, it is for us here, too, as little guy is giving us some breathing room and finding some fun in his trains.

And exercising...bleh! I find that I can keep at it for maybe a week or so, and then I quit. But I agree about how it helps with other things, and I can't believe how good I feel when I do it. So...maybe if you are...I'll try again...

:) Amy M.

Anonymous said...

I understand! I love your honesty!
love you
mom