"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Do you believe in The Jinx?

I honestly used to wonder.  I mean, I knew there wasn't, but it sure seemed like there was sometimes.  You know how it seems to go - things are going along swimingly and so you share the good news,  "Life should be really hard right now, but I am coping sooo well!  Isn't that great?  Praise the Lord, He is so good!"  and...

BAM

... as soon as those words are uttered, or written, it seems like everything comes crashing down, and all of a sudden your coping skills don't seem to even be present.  

Sure feels like you jinxed yourself.  At least, this has been my experience.  Can you relate?

Well, sure enough, just this week I sent a message on facebook to some of my faraway girlfriends.  I was sharing with them some updates on my life and explaining how in awe of, and thankful to, the Lord I was for helping me cope with some less than ideal life circumstances.  And wouldn't you know it, the very next day life seemed to crumble before my eyes.  My ability to cope went from 10 to zero and I was fighting all the feelings and emotions I'd just claimed to have no struggle with.

I felt jinxed.  

But, then the Lord started (or, most likely, continued) His work.  He began whispering to my soul.  He revealed to me a truth I had never fully considered before.  He showed me that though life felt jinxed right now, in fact there was a much more powerful and deadly force at work than a little 'ol jinx.  

And the LORD said to Satan, "From where do you come?" So Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it."    Job 1:7

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.  1 Peter 5:8

I am not a stranger to spiritual warfare.  And yet, I have always, rather flippantly, given The Great and Mighty Jinx credit for situations like I described above, rather than to whom deserved the credit, my enemy, Satan.  He hates any glory being given to God, so when life is already challenging, but God is giving me the victory over the circumstances, and then I give a shout out to God - it makes sense that Satan would attack.  I mean, he doesn't have to try very hard.  Life is already really difficult and hanging by a thread.  He starts to whisper lies that I slowly start to buy into, and all of a sudden my eyes are off of Jesus and focused on my circumstances and 

it
all
falls
apart.

No, I did not jinx myself this week, but, I did fall prey to Satan's wiles and repentance is needed.  God is so gracious and loving.  I am thankful this week for the time He took to teach my heart these truths and for giving me the faith to believe.  

To God be the glory, great things He has done.


3 comments:

Jenny said...

Thanks for reminding us of this truth: we do not jinx ourselves. We make targets of ourselves by following God and trusting His Word. So I guess, in a way, it's a good thing to be a target. I hope the bullseye passes from you and you feel the victory of the Lord once again!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder, Ruthie! I love you.
love,
mom

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in the jinx, but it is funny how often we forget! David and I often remind each other that there is no such thing as a coincidence, but things happen, whether because God has allowed it or because it's life. It's hard though, to not fall to the pressures of the world and not wonder sometimes if we've jinxed ourselves! :)