Well, it's been another crazy week for us. Last weekend Jamie and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary (I will post some pics asap) and my Mom and Dad were gracious enough to keep Soph for two nights so Jamie and I could do some date nights (eating out sans toddler is quite a treat!) and sleep in two days in a row! :)
Monday we had three of our unable to open picture windows replaced with two double hungs each. It's great to have some air flow through the house now and where the new windows are at the outside of the house looks so much better! We can't wait to get the rest replaced so the house matches. :) Again, I took pictures but have yet the chance to post them...
So, as mentioned before I've been struggling with what I thought was just really bad asthma since Spring. I figured what with allergies, the hot, humid weather and being pregnant I was just struggling. Unfortunetly the past 4-6 weeks have been so bad that, as you may know if you read my previous blog, I went to my doctor. Well, this past week started out really bad for me, so by Wednesday morning I called my mom and asked her to help me out so I could go back to my Dr.
She picked Soph and me up in the morning and we spent the day resting in her air conditioned house until my appt. at 4pm. Well, after looking me over a bit my dr. was again unsettled and not convinced that only my asthma was involved. I told her that they didn't do any testing to rule out a blood clot when she'd sent me to the hospital just two weeks ago. I told her that the docs there assured me it was just my asthma and they even told me they'd talked to her (my doc.), so I trusted them and felt comfortable leaving.
WELL! ... My doctor was quite upset. She said they had never called her and she never would have permitted me to leave without conclusivly ruling out a blood clot in my lungs (via CAT scan). So, she sent me back to the hospital, this time directly to radiology with a STAT order. It went smoothly (and I was thankful they had the donut shaped Cat scan as opposed to the tunnel kind) and I was in and out of there in only about an hour. The scan was negative for any clots which was wonderful news.
The next day my Doctor had me go see a cariologist to rule out any heart involvment. They did an EKG, and Echocardiogram (both came back totally normal) and put a 24 hr. halter monitor (this little box attatched to cords which are attatched to your chest with little stickies that records your heart rhythm continuously) on me. I had to record any time I had symptoms and what I was doing at the time.
This takes us to Friday morning (yesterday) where I went back to my regular Dr. for a follow-up. She is still puzzled by my symptoms (my lungs are totally clear and my inhalers are not doing anything to help my shortness of breath, my heart rate is way high, blood pressure way low, dizzy, lightheaded, feelings of my heart pounding, feeling very drowsy - like in a fog... etc... ) and unconvinced it is "just" my asthma. And yet, my heart appears totally healthy, no blood clots... what's going on??
So, she has one life threatening concern she wants to rule out - basically she was hearing some irregularities in my heart rhythm and wanted to make sure I wasn't at risk for my heart stopping. So, back to the cardiologist where they removed my halter monitor to do a stat read on it to see if my heart had done any of these dangerous arrythmias. I was to return home (well, my mom's house where we'd just stayed since Wednesday since all the docs are in her area (Akron) - an hour from my house) and wait for my Dr. to call me.
She calls a few hours later and says the halter monitor showed nothing seriously abnormal or anything. She is repeatedly asking me if I'm anxious or anything, and though this could explain a lot of my symptoms, I'm just not feeling any of that, so that didn't help solve the mystery.
Out of no where she takes one last stab and asks, " You haven't recently switched your Synthroid to a generic form, have you??"
okay... pause for a second. I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid back in college. I have to take a pill every day so that my thyroid gland functions properly. The name brand is Synthroid. A few months ago when I filled my prescription they filled it with a generic verison, but I thought nothing of it. Okay, unpause...
So, I told her that I had and it was like a lightbulb went off. She said most of her patients cannot take generic Synthroid because the dosing isn't accurate or something and it doesn't work properly. So, she had me go get the name brand and I started that today. The hope is that this is what is really causing all the strange symptoms and they will start to subside as my body readjusts to the right medication...
Whew... for those of you who don't know anything about thyroid disease... it does some funky stuff to you, and as a point of interest, my mom, both aunts and my grandma have/had thyroid disease and have all tried generic synthroid and have all had a terrible reaction to it. Interesting...
So, though I'm not feeling all the way better, I'm really praying this does the trick! I don't expect that all my asthmatic symptoms will go away, after all, I have asthma and I'm "great with child!" But, all the other funky, uncontrolled symptoms - praying they go away soon! We did go ahead and install two window air conditioners last night to help keep the house (and me) more comfortable.
If you were praying for me, thank you! Keep it up! Sorry this post was so long... just wanted to update you on our wild week.
4 comments:
Ruthie,
Our prayers and thoughts are with you and Jamie as you await the birth of your new precious baby! We also are praying that the doctor has solved the mystery and your health will become much better. Give Sophia a hug for us. All our love and prayers.
Sue and Bill
Oh my! What a week for you and your mom!! I hope and pray the new meds do the trick. I can't imagine how uncomfortable you've been. Love you.
Linda
Ok! So that is why you've been on my heart! I love you and will keep praying. And I'll probably call you soon too, but if you aren't up for chatting just don't answer. =) Love you!
How are you feeling? Is the name brand medication making a difference yet? Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm glad Sophia enjoyed the pictures - and how could anyone resist cute little Oliver? ;)
Post a Comment