"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Read at your own risk

I've roped you in with that title, haven't I? :) Why read with caution, you may ask? Well, I am about to write some things that will forever dash your illusion of my perfection (or shall we say dis-illusion! HA!). Here we go...

I have never been inclined to swear. I didn't grow up in a home of swearing parents, and my friends - the ones I actually spent a lot of time with - didn't cuss (unless you get concerned that I was too sheltered, I knew the cusswords - I went to public school afterall - I just didn't use them). Even to this day, when I stub my toe or break a glass, a swear word does not cross my mind or try to leave my lips. I have a lot of bad habits, this just isn't one of them.

Hey, I was the girl, who in 7th grade got sick of one boy's antics and decided I'd try to shut him up by using a "bad" word. I'd never tried out a swear word before and I should have stayed the straight and narrow path because my attempt was dissastrous! This was before I had all the meanings and appropriate uses of swear words worked out. Well, feeling armed with some good ammo, sure to shut this annoying guy up, I called him a "B****." No, not a "Son of a B****," just the "B" word. Much to my dismay, and shame, using this word did not have the desired effect, instead I was met with much laughter and a lot of, "What'd you call me," "What did she say?" Okay, I quickly learned the classic use of this particular word is directed at women, not men, and certainly not 7th grade boys! :)

So, fast forward a "few" years. I don't swear, but in moments of frustration I have been heard saying a certain word, that albeit is not a swear word, it is rather unlady like and slightly unsavory. And it certainly does not sound right coming out of the mouth of your almost 4 year old daughter. After reading the conversation below you will not only figure out what word I am talking about, you will also discover that, like her 7th grade Mom, she does not understand the meaning or appropriate use of the word.






































Me: opening Sophia's bedroom curtain... "Look Sophia! It's snowing!"
Sophia: looking outside... "Oh crap."

Enough said.

Ruthie :)

3 comments:

Jeni said...

HA! HA! HA!!!! :) I do remember you telling me about saying that to that guy! :) Oh, the things I need to remember when my baby is out of the oven! :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Okay, you never told YOUR mother that you said that word in 7th grade!:):):):)
That's funny, Ruthie!
love,
mom

Jenny said...

Too cute! :)