Jamie asked me to marry him six years ago, today! It was a Friday evening, probably around 5 o'clock. I had gotten in a little car accident two days prior and was heavily medicated due to some severe whip lash I'd suffered. I had had plans to visit him at his University to surprise him for his birthday, the day before. I couldn't drive though, so he came to my place and we had a quiet birthday celebration for him. Little did I know, he was planning to propose that day. He kept asking me to take a walk, planning on popping the question while we were out. I refused to leave though, as I was so sleepy and high on drugs. :)
Since I couldn't go to school the next day, I decided to go back to his University with him that evening to spend the weekend. I always stayed with his one friend, Kristin, whenever visiting him at school. So, the next day, Friday, I spent most of my time passed out on her bed - I think she may have wondered if I was alive! After Jamie was through with classes I met him at his apartment and we watched a movie. It was raining, but he again started asking me to go on a walk with him. There was a lovely spot, not too far away, that he'd hope to pop the question at. Due to the rain and my continued state of being a bit drugged, I declined the walk. Finally, he could no longer take it! He asked me to take a seat on the couch, and something just clicked in my head. I just knew what he was about to do - problem was, I had to use the bathroom really bad and didn't want any distractions! So, in my ever lady-like way, I said, "Wait! I have to pee really bad. I'll be right back!" Oh, if I could go back now... I think I would've held it. :)
Anyways, after I, ahem, relieved myself, I returned and Jamie proposed. It was one of the most glorious moments of my life! We spent the remainder of the evening celebrating our engagement and his birthday with all of his friends. It was so much fun!!!
The beautiful engagement ring, that still adorns my finger, was given to him by his parents. It is the same ring his father proposed to his mother with. She wore it until she got an upgrade at some point and tucked this ring away. They graciously gave the setting to Jamie and he spent all his savings to put in the diamond that is now mine. I just love that!
Being engaged was one of the funnest times of my life. So much joy, anticipation, dreaming of the future, being with friends and family... I'm so glad I got to experience all of that with Jamie.
I love you baby. Thanks for asking me to marry you. I'll never stop saying yes.
Ruthie :)
3 comments:
That story is beautiful and hilarious at the same time! Fist time I've heard it. Thanks so much for sharing as it made my day! You and Jamie are such a sweet couple and your kids are so beautiful. But then I may be a little biased being your aunt and all!!
I remember when you called and told me. I was shopping at Macy's!
love,
mom
Thank you for saying yes. You are the best birthday present I have ever received. Every day of my life since that day has blessed because of you. I love you so much and am so happy that you are my wife.
Love,
Your HSB
Post a Comment