"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Friday, April 03, 2009

My Best Friend

Today is my best friend's birthday. He is turning 28 years old, which, by the way, he can never remember. He always has to either think really hard, or ask me, when someone asks how old he is.

My best friend is such a fabulous person. My favorite characteristic of his is his love for the Lord and his ability to teach the Word of God to others. In fact, our friendship really started to blossom when, while hanging out, I would ask him questions I had about the Bible and he would begin to teach. I still adore that about him.

I also love his sense of humor. We click in such a special way through our ability to find the same things funny, and to make each other laugh. No one on this earth is funnier to me than him, and no one on this earth finds me as funny as he does. Laughing together is one of my favorite things we do.

One of my other favorite things that we share is our love for good food and drink. We used to live in LA, and we really miss the easy access to delicious restaurants. Some of my favorite memories with my best friend are times we've shared at restaurants, eating fabulously prepared food. We appreciate a chef that can create a fantastic meal.

Another favorite thing of mine is traveling with my best friend, whether by train, plane, or automobile. There is such a thrill when embarking on a new adventure, through travel, and I wouldn't rather share it with anyone else! I love remembering all the travels we've already taken, and dreaming of all the places we've yet to go together.

One of the things I most appreciate about my best friend is his presence and his innate ability to get me. He puts me first, because he wants to. He loves me unconditionally, because he knows no other way. He can communicate so much to me, with few to no words. I don't have to explain myself to him, he understands. He is just the perfect mixture of sensitive and tough, to fit my complex nature.

He loves chocolate, maybe more than me. I love that.

He is an artist - a really good one. I've learned so much about art, just by being around him. It makes me feel very refined. :) I love going to museums with him, and I love the hoity toity way he pronounces museum.

Now, before you get too concerned about my best friend being a man, what with me being a married woman and all... my best friend is my husband!

I love you Jamie, Happy Birthday.

Isn't my best friend handsome?
Ruthie :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought I was your best friend!!! :) Just kidding. Love you guys. Wish Jamie a Happy Birtday for me, ok? Give Soph and Riley kisses too!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jamie!
- Danielle

Anonymous said...

Baby... I think that is by far the best birthday note I have ever been given. I praise God for giving me a friend like you. I am so richly blessed to not just have a great wife but the best friend a man could ever dream of having. I love you so much.

Jamie

P.S. It is funny that you chose that picture because the one of you by that picture is one of my favorite ones of you. A beautiful woman standing next to a great work of art ;)