"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

"BOO!" - A Series

We finally purchased a memory card reader and now all our photos are happily residing in our computer! Which means... I can blog all sorts of fun things with photographical evidence! :) What with it being Fall and Trick or Treat time, the next few days will be a Series of Boo! We don't actually celebrate Halloween at our house, but we do enjoy some halloweenish activities such as, carving pumpkins and trick or treating. Seriously, who wouldn't want a basket full of free candy just for dressing up in a fun costume and walking around the neighborhood? Thankfully, we live in a lovely little town where Halloween is tame and just fun. Trick or Treating is all about little kids and their parents and our sweet neighbors spoiling them. At any rate, enjoy catching up on all our Booish fun from this lovely Fall month of October. :)

First up: what did we do with all those apples we got at the Apple Tree Farm??? Well... we ate a lot of them! But, I really wanted to make applesauce, and so finally, I did (right before the apples rotted, mind you. I'm not a procrastinator, I just like to live on the edge.)

So, I knew how I wanted to make my applesauce, but I didn't have a certain kitchen tool to do it the way I wanted. See, I don't like my applesauce flavored at all (i.e. with cinnamon or nutmeg), and I don't like it chunky. I also really wanted to cook the apples with their skins on, because it adds great color and a ton of extra flavor. But, to do it this way, you need a big food mill or the tool pictured below, which I borrowed from a friend and can't remember the name of...


This thing worked so great! It was so easy. I simply cut my apples in fourths, threw them in a big pot with a cup of water (use more or less water depending on how many apples you have), let it come to a boil then simmered for 20 minutes or so. Then... I simply scooped everything (peels, seeds, core, and meat) into the top bowl of this thing above. It moved everything through and the applesauce came out one spout and all the stuff to be discarded came out another. I even ran the peels and such through a second time, and got a ton more sauce out of it. Voila!


Beautiful, smooth, simple - and pink! (thanks to the peels) applesauce.



It didn't last very long! :)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy!
love,
mom

Jeni said...

I will take full credit for the memory card reader purchase! :)

Unknown said...

We have a Victoria strainer you are welcome to use!