"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Being a sibling



See these two monkeys?  They decided to take a break from arguing yesterday and got up on the couch together and spread a blanket over themselves and just - wait for it - got along!  Yes, they were watching a video, but seeing them at total peace, laying side-by-side, was such a breath of fresh air!  These two are siblings to the max.  They love each other hard, and they also argue hard!  I totally get it - I'm a sibling too, and I remember the growing up years.  Some years my sister and I were best of friends, and other years, not so much.  I think a big part of this is that some years our age difference (3 years) just felt so much bigger than it was, and other years (like now!) it just didn't matter so much.  So, even though I can get frustrated at the bickering and picking and whining and arguing... I rest in the hope that some day, these two (and their baby sister of course!) will hit a stage where the bickering will end and the friendship will thrive!  Just like my sister and me!


Jeni (3 y.o.) & me (4 mos.)
Can you say Cora and Haddie??
Oh yeah, sporting the braces and bangs and oversized shirts.  Lovely.  :)
Me (about 13) & Jeni (about 16) and of course, Grandpa!

Still sporting the bangs - and turtle necks under sweater and denim shirt!
This was Christmas 1995 - I think!
If that is true, I am 15 and Jeni is almost 18.

I am thankful that Jeni and I are so close now.  Aside from Jamie, she is my best friend.  I am sure there were years our parents thought we'd never get along - but look at us now!

:)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Cute pictures, and I love seeing old pictures of you and your sister. Oh, and do I detect a note of disdain for bangs? I just got some - side swoopy bangs, so I'm still trendy and cool. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh my...those PICTURES!!!!!! That abortion shirt was my FAVORITE shirt at the time!!!!!! Wow. I do love you so much and am SO THANKFUL we decided to be friends! (oh, and this is Jeni posting, I'm just too lazy to sign out David and resign-in...) Love you Seester!

Anonymous said...

I love my beautiful girls!!! yes, there were days...........
love,
mom