"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Imagination Station

This morning Sophia donned her ballet slippers and proceeded to turn our front deck into a stage, as she was preparing to put on a show!  After laying a blanket down on the "stage" floor she came in to tell me she'd like to charge $5 per person to come to her show!  :)

It was such a strange moment for me.  I was IN LOVE with her imagination and initiative, but I knew no one was going to come pay $5 to see her show so I was desperate to save her from disappointment.  What is a Mom to do?  I gently told her most people were at work or busy at home so they probably wouldn't be able to come.  I also convinced her that maybe she should just let people come for free, and also encouraged her to carry on with her show!  :)

So... Soph made a sign to hang off the deck and went out to start her performance.  After awhile she came in a bit dejected.  "Mom, no one is coming to my show."  Again, my heart pricked with the knowledge of the pain on disappointment my sweet girl was feeling.  I again explained how most people were busy and reminded her how long it takes to plan a show (i.e. her ballet receital).  Thankfully just at this moment her neighbor friend came over to play.





Soph and her friend proceeded to continue on the "show" path, but at my suggestion changed it to a circus show!  They played at this for at least an hour and got along so well (which doesn't always happen!).  They even went across the street to perform for our sweet neighbor, Wilbur - who rewarded them with popsicles.  :)

Soph and her friend made and hung these signs on our neighbors' house to point the way to the circus!

Heading over to Wilbur's to perform for him.  :)

After a lunch break they got to playing again.  I looked out back to let Soph know she had 15 more minutes to play.  Wondering what they were doing now?  Well... they had lugged a bunch of lumber from our driveway to the back yard and were building a stage.  :)  This lumber is for the final portions of our front deck that is still in progress.  Well... Jamie wasn't home, and they weren't hurting it, so I let them do this.  Shhh.... don't tell.  :)




I just love seeking Sophia's imagination.  She's always had a very active imagination and reminds me so much of myself as a little girl.  Anyways, I really wanted to remember this day so I thought I'd blog about it and share it with you!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daddy, loved this blog! Our little girl is so smart!!!!
love,
mom

Jenny said...

Creative play keeps us young! It's neat to hear how Soph interacts with the world around her!

Jeni said...

:) Just wait until she and Haddie start playing "orphanage" or "house" or any other plethora of things! :)