"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Thursday, July 09, 2009

I'm a new woman

I had a physical done about a week ago. I have hypothyroid disease, so prior to my physical I had to have some blood drawn to make sure my current dose of thyroid med. is doing the trick to keep all my thyroid levels happy and energetic! :) Well, I had that blood drawn, probably two months ago... so, when I was at my physical, and found out my throid levels were in fact, off, and I would need to take a higher dose of my meds to keep everything going swell, it dawned on me that things in my "Land 'o Thyroid" have been off for sometime.

When I told my Mom and Jamie about all of this, they both replied with some version of, "Oh, that's what's been wrong with you!" Yes, indeed. :) Actually, when my Dr. asked if I'd been feeling unusually tired (one of the major symptoms of having an underactive thyroid), I said, "No, not that I've noticed."

So, after having taken the new dose for almost a week, I started to realize that, maybe, I had been more tired than usual, at least more tired than should be normal. How did I come to this conclusion? On Tuesday I was able to make it through the whole day without a nap, even though I'd been up with Riley for an hour the night before and then had gotten up for the day at 7:30ish, when Riley woke. Then, the next day, I again got up in the morning with little issues, actually took a shower in the morning, played with the kids, outside, three times, prepared two hot meals, and even got a bunch of housework done. At the end of the day I took stock of how I was feeling, and realized how much more energy I had and was so excited I'd felt more "normal" than I had in a LONG time!

See, my old (you know, like 3 or 4 days ago) "normal" was to wake up when Riley woke up, nurse him, beg Jamie to let me sleep more, sleep until Jamie had to leave for work (which time varied each day), dragged myself through the day, usually remaining in my pjs until either Jamie came home on a break, or once the kids went down for a nap, though to be honest, some days, it just never happened. I would literally just make it through, feeling like I was floating in a cloud sometimes. No, I didn't notice all of this until I started to feel better! I guess this had just been my "normal" for so long (pregnant, crazy med mix-up of last summer, post-partum, then thyroid gets wacky - that's about 1 1/2 yrs of being overly tired for one reason or another!).

So, all that to say, I feel like a new woman and I'm loving my new "normal!"

Man, wish I'd gotten my levels checked earlier! :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can say I really understand what you are saying!:) I am glad that you are feeling better, Honey!
love,
mom

Heather said...

Soooo glad you're feeling better!!! And I can really relate... I'm amazed at how much I can get done now that I'm through most of my morning sickness. I didn't realize how yucky I felt until I was feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better Ruthie, and I hope to see you soon.
Danielle

Anonymous said...

very glad your feeling better, we noticed especially at grandpa's funeral you didn't seem yourself, but then in situations like that it is to be expected. looking forward to seeing you saturday.

love ya,

David