"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Show Us Your Life - Wedding Dresses!

***In case you're interested, I'm #171 over at Kelly's Korner.***

Over at Kelly's Korner Blog today, we get to show our wedding dresses, or dream dress if you're not yet married. I thought I would play along! Head over to Kelly's Blog, HERE, if you'd like to see her dress and look around at other dresses. Here's mine (no digital pics, only prints. I got married before most of my friends, and as they all started getting married in the next couple of years, they all had digital pics - I think digital shots were a really new thing when I got married and I remember Jamie and myself not being so sure about that option- not quite trusting it, so we chose a photographer that did prints. I find that all very funny now.)!


The Front


The Back/Train



My Honey and Me... You can see the detail of the bodice pretty good in this picture(this beading is also on the front bottom of the dress under the upside down V, and along the back bottom edge). Oh, and another really special thing, Jamie's Mom made my veil and it turned out just like I'd imagined!


You can see the way the dress wraps around me in this shot. I loved the way it made my waist look teeny tiny! (though I would love to have my waist from then - now! Ha!)

I really loved my wedding dress. Jamie and I were only engaged for 3 1/2 months, so I didn't have much time when it came to my dress. I went to one large store and tried on a ton and didn't LOVE any of them. I remember starting to really fret, worrying what that meant, that I didn't feel good in any of these gorgeous dresses. I had always heard you'd know when it was the one, and I was so nervous because after a couple of hours and lots of dresses NONE of them made me feel special.

Silly me, I just needed to be patient! We went to a second shop, which was in a big old house turned dress shop. It was run by these short, adorable, loud Italian women. I loved that because I was marrying an Italian! In a funny way it made me feel part of the family. (excuse the Italian pun) One of the ladies suggested a dress to me, and I said, "NO WAY. It is way too fussy with much too much beading, etc... I want a simple dress." She convinced me to just try it on, saying that often brides felt different once the dress was on.

Well, I tried it on and fell in love! This was THE ONE! :) I felt it instantly and couldn't stop smiling. The beading was just right after-all, and I adored the way it wrapped around my waist and the way it laced up the back. I had found it! There was a moment of panic when they asked how long till my wedding. At that point I think it was less than two months. Well, they explained it would be impossible to order my dress in that amount of time. Thankfully though, the dress off the rack fit me like a glove and so the Lord allowed me to just buy that! Disaster averted! I have never second-guessed my choice either. And, maybe, just maybe, since it laces up the back, I might be able to squeeze into it. :) I won't be showing pictures of that attempt, should there be one. :)

Thanks for going back in time with me. The timing is great because Sunday, July 26, Jamie and I celebrate six years of marriage!!!

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

I loved the story about the dress! What a funny experience that must have been!

Khordaddy said...

Very pretty dress! Congrats on soon-to-be 6 years!

Anonymous said...

Remember that Grandma Russell was with us? She loved that dress on you!
love
mom