"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Too little to be sick

This past weekend Hadassah came down with what seemed like a common cold. By Monday evening Jamie and I felt like the cold might be moving down into her chest/lungs. She had developed a cough, sounded very hoarse when crying and was gagging/choking on all the mucus that she kept trying to work out. Her eyes and nose were both draining green too. So... off to see the doctor yesterday.

I really thought the doc would listen to her and send us home with a "it's just a cold, wait it out." But, nope! She sent us over to our local hospital to get some further testing. Haddie had to get her little nose swabbed 5 times to test for various viruses and whooping cough. She also got a chest x-ray to see if there was any pneumonia. Some of the results came back last night - no pneumonia, flu or RSV. We're still waiting on the whooping cough test and some other viral tests.

I had to take Haddie back to see her Ped today. She is really doing pretty good. Her eye and nose drainage has pretty much gone away. She still has a stuffy nose and a lot of mucous that she tries to work out - resulting in a lot of gagging/choking. She is still coughing and sneezing a lot. But, she is eating decently and sleeping well. We just can't leave her alone and she must remain upright so that she doesn't legitimately choke when coughing.

If her whooping cough test comes back positive she'll be treated with antibiotics. Otherwise, as long as she's not getting dehydrated and as long as her breathing is not compromised, we will just wait out whatever virus she has at home.

Thankful she's not sicker than she is, but it is hard to see your little 3 week old baby sick at all.

Today's doctor visit was long. Well, not the actual visit - just the waiting... Hadassah wasn't see until an hour past her scheduled appointment time. I got bored. I took pictures. Enjoy. :)




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruthie, She is such a beautiful baby and you are a wonderful, beautiful mommy!!!!
love,
mom

Jeni said...

HA! HA! HA! Haddie is so ADORABLE!!!!!!! I can't WAIT until we are closer and can see each other so much more!!!!!!!! And, I love the middle photo especially! :)

Jenny said...

Love the pictures. I'm glad she's improved!