"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Invites, Rain Play and Leftovers


I made these little invites for Riley's 2nd Birthday Party!  It was going to be a brunch, but we had a mix-up with Jamie's work schedule, so we'll be doing an afternoon party instead.  I'm so excited to celebrate and have a few more preparations before I'll be ready!

***

It has been a hot summer (well, isn't every summer hot?!).  Saturday it ended up raining.  It was the perfect summer rain to play in - no thunder or lightening, and heavy, steady rain.  So, the kiddos went out for some rain play fun!




***

Do you ever have a bunch of leftover sauce when you make spaghetti?  Well, I usually do, and this time I used it to make these simple little "pizzas."


Just pile on your leftover sauce onto your "crust" of choice.
 (I make my sauce chunky, with green pepper, onion, garlic, and chunks of tomato, so additional toppings weren't necessary)


For the "crust" I used these sandwich thins.  We've been buying these to use as buns instead of regular hamburger buns.  


Pile on as much cheese as you want over the sauce and bake at 425 for about 10 minutes.  

Yum!!!



The only thing I'll do differently next time is bake the buns alone for about 5 minutes to give them a bit of a crust, then I'll top and bake again.  I didn't do this and so the bread got soggy.  

Any creative ways you use leftovers??


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a few packs of little (child-serving size) containers and I put our leftovers (usually spagetti or soup) in them and stick them in the freezer for times when I make a meal that not everybody likes. It feels good to have something on hand to give to hungry little tummies! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy!

Jenny said...

Love the memories I made playing in the rain as a kid, and I'm sure yours will, too!

As far as leftovers, my magical recipe is: cover with napkin, place in microwave, and re-heat! :)