"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Riley's 2nd Birthday Recap: Part II

Decorating for Riley's party was fun and simple.  I made the birthday banner with some fun fabric and letters I printed off on iron-on paper.  We of course had the cake and then bought about a dozen helium balloons and just grouped them around the table area.  It was colorful and pretty inexpensive to make our little patio area a bit more festive!
(We also covered all the tables with blank newsprint, purchased for a couple bucks from our local newspaper.  They cut off the ends when printing and sell them for super cheap!  I also used left over fabric as table runners.)




We invited our family and some friends.  Below is three generations!  Jamie's Grandma, Jamie's Mom and Hadassah!



Chowing down on party snacks - fruit kabobs , crackers and cheese and pepperoni rolls (all made by our moms!).  For drinks we had iced-tea, lemonade and apple juice.
Cora and Riley!  I hope they grow up to be great friends!

The "agenda" was really simple.  Eat, play, gifts, cake, more play!  Simple, manageable and memorable.

All the cousins!
Devon holding Damion, Riley, Sophia holding Hadassah and Cora

Opening...                                                                                                   ... gifts!



Possibly Riley's favorite gift - a guitar!  Jamie and I got him this.  :)


Cake time!


Think he enjoyed it?


For favors Jamie helped me make these little blank books out of card stock weight scrap booking paper, printer paper and twine.  I ordered the monkey pencils, suckers and Animal Hands tattoos from this fabulous on-line store, The Stubby Pencil Studio.






The next five pictures crack me up!  Jamie was assembling a helicopter Riley had received.  I love how all the boys are enthralled and gathered round.  The second picture makes one think Jamie is just goofing off, but the fifth picture (notice his lips? - he's totally making a sound effect!) reveals he is just as into it as the little boys!










Sophia was so cute and spent her own money to get Riley some birthday gifts at a garage sale.  She did a great job picking out items she knew he would love:  a shirt with cars on it, a little tigger stuffed animal (which he totally sleeps with now and carries around with him), and... these B0b the Builder boots - which, he insists on wearing everywhere!


So, that was the party.  I think it is safe to say that our little guy had a good time, and hopefully all of our guests did too.  Some things I'm so glad I did was let our moms help with food.  I also loved our simple favors and loved having the party outside!  I wish I'd had more time to decorate the cake (hello - crooked strings anyone?).  But, really, considering all, I am so happy with how things turned out and overall it was a stress-free party!!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruthie Elisabeth, it was a GREAT party!!
love,
mom

Jeni said...

I really wish we could have been there! But, there will be more and I'm glad Cora got to be there and have fun! And, you're so darn creative! Great job sis!!!!!