"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

A Little Give


Hello All,

I have no idea how many of you will read this post since I've been MIA for a month or more...
But, I am still here.  And, we are doing fine.  It's just been a season of figuring out how to fit "it" all in for me, and well, something had to give.  Unfortunately, this blog was the thing that had to give for awhile.  But, hopefully I can hop on here much more frequently now!


One of my favorite parts of the winter season is lighting candles around the house - real candles, candles that flicker and dance and give off warmth and lovely scent.  When I light even one candle during these cold, dreary months it really does affect my mood for the better.  Can you relate?


Sophia and I have been doing home school for roughly 3 months now and I think we have the hang of it.  
:)
The hardest challenge remains keeping Riley occupied and happy while Sophia and I focus on the whole teaching/learning process.  Riley is in a stage right now where it doesn't really matter if I give him a favorite toy to play with, a special video to watch or a fun activity... if he notices I'm doing school with Soph something comes over him - he insists on getting my attention, i.e. pushes the books out of my hand, stands at my feet whining, pulls at my hand, pushes at my body, etc...
So, that adds a little something special to our school day.  
:)
I know it is just a stage for Riley and as he gets older (which at this age, every month brings a new level of maturity!) it will improve, so we just push through each day, but, it is a challenge on this Mama's nerves some days!


All of the kiddos are fine, thriving even.  Well, not this exact week.  This week all five of us have some sort of virus.  We've got fevers, coughs, runny/stuffy noses, little energy, no appetite, etc...  So, this week has been a lot of video watching, tylenol, p.j.s and just resting as much as we can.  I expect us to all be better soon!


This past month has been full.  We've had birthdays (me - I'm 30! and Soph - she's SIX!), Thanksgiving, family weekends, special outings, Christmas decorating, special treats, and so on and so forth!


Here's a little rundown of the past month...
1.  November 5 - 8 Jamie, Haddie and I jetted off to the Portland, Oregon area to visit friends.  
April and Ryan, and their two kiddos, are missionaries in SE Asia and are home for a short while.  Our other great friends, Amy and Matt, were also there for the weekend - actually, it was their trip originally and Jamie and I decided to join in the fun!  April, Amy and I grew up as missionary kids in Africa together.  The last decade or so the three of us have had the privilege of being able to be all together every 2 years or so. 
This reunion was ever so sweet and Jamie and I are full of memories that will last a lifetime.


2.  November 10th I turned 30!  Yikes!  I got to celebrate in various ways but the best part was a great party that Jamie and my sister, Jeni, threw for me with a few of my best friends and their spouses.  Jeni is pregnant with #2 (!!!) and even though she felt yucky she hosted a fabulous party - complete with chocolate fondue in leu of traditional birthday cake!  Yum!!!

3.  Weekend of November 19th, we had a great dinner out with my and Jamie's parents and his Grandma to celebrate my bday.  The next day we had a lunch out with Jamie's extended family to celebrate his Grandma's 85th birthday!


4.  November 25th, was of course Thanksgiving.  My sister, albeit feeling like "that" end of the stick, hosted my side of the family for a wonderful feast!  This day also happened to by Sophia's 6th birthday!!!  We stayed the night with Jamie's parents and the next day Jamie and I took Soph out for her birthday date.  May I take a moment to mention that my firstborn is SIX!?!?  I remember the day of her birth - also Thanksgiving Day, so well.  It was the first snow of the season that day and though there was all the normal labor and delivery pain and hard work present, it was a really magical day.  Sophia continues to bring magic into our lives.  

5.  This past weekend, on Sunday, December 5th, my parents treated Jamie, me, Soph (& Haddie due to her needing to eat while we were out), and my sister and BIL to a great dinner out and a Christmas concert.  We had a great time!  Riley had fun getting his Grandma Susie and Papa all to himself!


So, now we finish preparations for Christmas.  We've got a bit more shopping to accomplish, treats to bake, and family fun to have!  Most importantly though, we're trying to focus on Jesus, teaching Sophia all about Advent for the first time and savoring the hope and joy and peace that this time of year reminds us of.

Have a blessed day!  I should be around more often now, so check back in!

(Danielle, this post is dedicated to you since you inspired me to take the time to get back on here.  Love you friend.)

4 comments:

Jeni said...

I'm glad to see you're back! I also need to get my rear in gear...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ruthie! I hope I didn't pressure you, just missed hearing about your life. I can't believe how big/old your kidddos are getting. Seems like some crazy and busy times, but fun times too.
Love you
Danielle

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are writing again!
love,
mom

Amy said...

Love you! =)