
This week I checked out a book I've heard a fair amount about in the past. "Piercing the Darkness," by Frank E. Peretti was written back in 1989. So, if you are in my generation, there is a good chance you were too young to read this book back in it's hay-day. I'm pretty sure my Dad read it, and "This Present Darkness," which I think is actually the first book in the series. I haven't read that one though and I didn't find it hampered my experience one bit!
I really enjoyed this book. It would be very creepy to read if one wasn't saved, but I found myself relieved to know I was protected by the Holy Spirit and the Heavenly Hosts, even while reading this spiritually dark - yet uplifting, and moving story.
If you've never read either of these books, I would highly recommend it! The only things dating them were the mention of typewriters and "word processors," a few times. This book, about the classic fight of good vs. evil, centering that fight on the demons of Satan and the Angels of God, was very compelling and even convicting, for me, as a Christian.
You see, the biggest source of the Angels' strength were the prayers of all the believers. It made me wonder, how much do I empower Satan when I lack prayer in my life, and how much more protected am I, and those around me, when I am in frequent prayer?? Thoughts to ponder.
Have you ever read either of these books? What did you think of them??
2 comments:
Read both of them in highschool. Loved them! Hmm... now I might pick them up again, though! Forget what they're about, but remember feeling the same thoughts as you when I read them... thanks for the idea!
I've read them both too. You are so right, would be very scary if I wasn't saved.
Post a Comment