"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Toast done right!!!

Have you ever heard of The Pioneer Woman? Her real name is Ree Drummond and she writes a really successful blog - which didn't start out that way, she is just a hilarious woman, an excellent writer, an inspiring photographer, has an uncanny knack for story-telling, and to top it all off, is a great cook! She recently finished her first cookbook and is currently promo-ing it, so you may have seen her on certain morning talk shows. At any rate, I enjoy reading her blog. Her recipes always look really good - but until this past Monday I've never tried one. But, this particular recipe was super simple, I had all the ingredients and I knew I would love it!

What was it you may be wondering?? Why, cinnamon toast! That's right, something that simple. Click HERE to read Ree's post and instructions on how to make the best cinnamon toast ever, and let me tell you, she is right!

Simply gather five ingredients: bread, butter (softened), cinnamon, sugar and vanilla.


Combine all the ingredients (I used about 1/2 - 3/4c. butter [well, in our house it's fake butter since Riley can't have dairy], 8tbs of sugar, 4 tsp cinnamon and 2 tsp vanilla for 8 pieces of bread) and spread on to the bread. I put a heaping tablespoon of the good stuff on each piece of bread and made sure to spread it all the way to the edges.


Pop the goodness into a 350 degree oven for 10 min. Then, turn on broiler and broil for about 2 minutes - watch carefully so it doesn't burn!


The topping becomes a bit carmelized and tastes just like monkey bread - Sophia even mentioned it tasted like a cinnamon crunch bagel from a certain popular restaurant! The texture is a bit of crunch and the bottom of the bread is still a bit soft. Simply divine! You must try some right now!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will have to make some for Dad and I!:) Did you get new chairs in the kitchen?
love,
mom

Jeni said...

Num, num, num...

Jeni said...

Hey, yeah! What's with the new chairs? It looks like a banquette?

Anonymous said...

Wow...can't wait to try these! We miss you guys!!
Amy