Six years ago, on a Saturday much like today, Jamie asked me to date him, with the intention of marriage. It was February 1, 2003. On April 4 we were engaged and on July 26, 2003, we got married.
That cold Saturday was the start of such a beautiful thing. Jamie and I met our sophomore year of highschool, when my family starting attending the church Jamie's family already attended. We were "church friends" all throughout highschool and into college. The summer before our senior year of college, I was the Vacation Bible School coordinator for our church and I asked Jamie to help me build some of the props. I quickly developed a crush on him, and get this - I didn't tell a single sole. I didn't want to spoil this crush, which felt different, special, with girlfriend gossip.
Once school started back up, Jamie and I started IMing each other now and again and exchanged an occansional email. Over Christmas break I went to Africa to visit my sister, who was working as a missionary in Cameroon. Jamie spent some time at a Christian conference and took a trip to Los Angeles. Upon our return, we saw each other at church the last Sunday before our Spring semester began. Our youth group was pretty close and we always greeted each other with a hug. Jamie sat next to me in church, and let me tell you, that hug was awkward and I had butterflies! We decided it'd be fun to share stories and pictures from our break, so we agreed to meet up the next weekend. This would be the first time we ever hung out just the two of us. We'd been friends so long, it seemed like something normal/natural to do... but if felt different!
We did meet up for dinner the next Friday, and Jamie bought mine. :) He also purposely didn't use the bathroom in the restaurant so he could ask to use mine when he dropped me off... he didn't want the night to end (of course I didn't find this out till later). As we sat on opposite ends of my couch talking the evening away, I recall, very clearing, imagining our wedding. Little did I know in six short months I would actually be marrying this man.
The next week Jamie asked me to go to the high school play of a mutual friend, because he happened to have an extra ticket. :) So, again we went out, not that we were thinking of it as a date... at least we didn't call it that, but if the butterflies in my stomach meant anything - it was a date. :)
The next week, Jamie asked me to do something again that Saturday evening, February first. I had to work in the evening, so I suggested he come over and I'd make him breakfast. I made pancakes, with strawberries and bacon. It was yummy, but I don't think either of us felt much like eating. After numerous references to "the weather," Jamie finally said what he was thinking and began to share his heart and intentions with me. I had a boyfriend, and not just any boyfriend. He'd told me that he wanted us to pray very seriously about marriage and that he felt we ought to move in that direction. We agreed that if the LORD revealed to us that we shouldn't get married we would break up and just be friends. WOW, what a glorious day. He left and I got in my car to leave for work. The radio was already on, and what song do you suppose was playing??? At Last, by Etta James. Shivers all over!
The next six months were a glorious whirlwind of two people, not just falling deeply in love, but becoming best, most true, friends. When I married Jamie on July 26, 2003, I married my other half, my best friend and my partner for this life. Today, as I remember six years ago, I am so thankful that Jesus brought us together and created us to serve Him as a team and to share this life together.
Last night we left the kiddos with my parents and headed for a hotel overnight at the same hotel we spent our wedding night in. This is actually the fourth time we've been back and it is always so special to go back to the beginning; toremember the blissful love of newlywedhood and to reflect on how sweet our love has become over time.
Jamie is so many things to me, but the thing I am most thankful for is that Jamie was the first person to love me with an unconditional love that made me realize the type of unconditional love God has for me. His walk with the Lord motivated me to pursue something truer and deeper with my Lord. He continues to inspire me to walk closer to Jesus and continues to teach me of God's unconditional love as he loves me each day.
I love you Jamie.
6 comments:
What a cute story! Too funny about him plotting and scheming to use your bathroom! :P
Congrats, Ruthie! I love you both so much and love that God has blessed us both with wonderful men in our lives.
Also, I've been keeping tabs on Harper and I did the same thing ... cried, laughed and praised Jesus for the miracles He's working in that little girl's life.
Love you!
Rach
Thank you for sharing these last 6 years with me. My life was turned completely upside down that night. That night at Bennigans my dreams came true, and I realized that I was sitting in front of the woman of my dreams. My life has been so richly blessed b/c of you. You have taught me the meaning of love and what it is to love the the Lord. Pursuing you and loving you has been the best part of my life (save that of my relationship with Christ). I love you so much and had such a great time with you the other night. I can't wait to have many more romantic getaways.
Your HSB,
Jamie
I've always loved your story! Thanks for sharing :)
AH! You guys! :)
I would always pray when you were just a baby girl, toddler, school girl, teenager, and college young woman that the Lord would bring a wonderful man into your life to be your husband! Daddy and I were so excited when that man was Jamie!:)
God is Good!
Post a Comment