"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weary

***UPDATE*** I just spoke to the Ped. on call at our local hospital. He's not Riley's regular physician, but he is from the same practice. He said as long as Riley is showing no signs of breathing trouble and his lips/tongue doesn't swell, we don't need to take him in. Of course discontinue the antibiotics. I'll be sure to call his regular ped. on Monday. Right now Riley is sleeping peacefully and not showing any signs of breathing difficulty. I think I'm going to back off the baby foods too, just to be on the safe side. I've just done some research and I guess the World Health Organization says you really shouldn't even start solids till 6 mos. of age, though most peds. say to start as early as 4. So... I think I'll back off and see how he does. Oi.




I feel so weary today. Riley's tummy and back is covered in a rash now. I'm concerned that it's a reaction to the amoxicillin his ped. put him on to ward off pneumonia. I am terribly allergic to penicillins and Jamie has a high sensitivity to them. I'm feeling guilty for not saying something at the dr.s about this. I didn't really think that he'd be allergic just because I am. I'm confused a bit though, because I also let him try some mushed banana at lunch. The rash showed up right after that. But, I've never heard of someone being allergic to bananas. So, my first thought was, it has to be the medicine, but he didn't even get his dose this morning, b/c Jamie forgot before work, then I was about to give it to him when the rash showed up. So, it's been since last night around 8p since he had the medicine. I'm confused, is it the banana or the ampicillin? Of course it's got to be Saturday, so I can't reach his doctor. I hate to take him to the ER, esp. here b/c it's not a Chilren's hospital - if it's not serious. But, I hate to mess around too. And the nurse hotline at Children's always just tells you to go to the ER, so that won't be helpful. Anyways, pray that Jamie and I have wisdom in what to do. He's napping peacefully right now and Jamie's coming home soon for his lunch break. We'll figure stuff out then - I think I'll call our local hospital and talk to the ped on call. I'm anxious for all -around health in our household. Sophia is coming down with pink-eye again we think. Delightful. Pray for my spirit, that I don't get discouraged and that I have wisdom in caring for my babes. Thank you!

In good news, Kelly's baby is showing a lot of signs of improvement, praise Jesus! Visit her blog for updates. The button is at the top of my left side bar, "Praying for Harper."

Have a great day!

Ruthie :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruthie,
I am praying!
love,
mom

Unknown said...

Hi Ruthie,
I do have a friend who is allergic to bananas, but she is allergic to so many different foods that it's difficult for her to eat away from home. That doesn't mean Riley is but the only way to find out is after he is all better from this RSV give him a little bite and see what happens. So glad he's getting better. Take care. Love you all.
Aunt Cathy

Sue and Bill said...

We are so thankful things appear to be better. Allergies can cause so many problems - as I'm sure you know better than most. We pray that you will be able to find the cause for the rash and that Riley's temperature stays down! We are praying!
Sue and Bill

PS - I've borrowed an idea from your blog again! Someone needs to start the trend and I gues it is you! :) I liked the counter idea!!
Love to you all!