"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." Psalm 139:5
The Adventures of our family - told through the eyes of Ruthie, the wife and mommy.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Lord is My Shepherd

Riley Monroe Russell

Born August 4, 1926

Died June 22, 2009

Husband to Barbara for over 58 1/2 years.

Husband to Hanna for just shy of 2 years.

Father to three adoring daughters and their husbands.

Grandfather to four grandsons, two granddaughters, one granddaughter-in-law, and two son-in-laws.

Great-grandfather to four - including one being his namesake.

Grandpa served in WWII, and was a true hero. On April 21, 1945 (I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong on that date) he was shot in Germany and left for dead. Through a series of miraculous events, ordained by God, Grandpa's life was spared. Some 64 years later, Grandpa gets diagnosed with an inoperable brain aneurysm - that was most likely caused by his war wound! -and less than three months later, he dies.

Grandpa was a man of God, and I know he is in the presence of Jesus as I write this. God was merciful in sparing Grandpa's life, all those years ago, and Grandpa did not waste that gift. He raised a loyal, loving, generous family, he worked hard, even in his retirement, he was faithful, affectionate and such a provider and a protector, right to the end.

He told Jamie, the last time we were able to visit with him, "Don't worry, you kids are taken care of, I have a trust all set up." "If you ever lose your spouse, don't be afraid to remarry, no one should have to be alone." "If you want anything of mine, just go on into the house and take it." :)

If you knew my Grandpa know further explanation is needed. If you didn't, I hope you'll get to meet him in heaven some day. He was one of a kind and will be sorely missed.

I love you Grandpa.


I found some pictures I've enjoyed looking over, and thought you might too.

Grandpa with my kiddos, this past April.

Grandpa, with his squad. He is the one on the far left, bottom row. He was so handsome!

Back Row: My Dad, My Mom, Aunt Cathy, Uncle Bob, Uncle Kerry
Front Row: My sister, Jeni, Grandpa, Grandma, Aunt Connie, Me, cousin Steve
I was born in November of 1980, so I'm guessing this was taken the winter of 81/82. Good 'ol Olan Mills! :)

The Russell Family
Aunt Cathy, Grandpa, Carol (my Mom), Grandma, Aunt Connie
Maybe my Mom or one of my Aunts can help me figure out what date this photo was taken???

Aren't they an adorable family? I especially love how Aunt Cathy is looking at my Mom, probably thinking to herself, "Gosh, why can't Carol just sit still?" :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Ruthie!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog!
love,
mom

Jeni said...

That was great! I love our family photo from the 80s! :) It's so quintescential! :) I know I totally spelled that word wrong...You have such a wonderful way of expressing things, sister!

Heather said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks so much for sharing about your grandpa- what a godly man! How wonderful to be blessed with all those years with your grandpa after the war! I loved the pictures too :)
Heather

Jenny said...

Very cool story. I'm glad he knew the Lord. He sounds like a terrific man.